Sunday, May 25, 2008

"Stained Glass" Cuff finished and a new cuff begun.






Below, "Stained Glass" completed. No problem using the brass form, although it is tricky whip-stitching the ends without pulling the form out of shape.

This morning I started the top piece. I began with one of the little oval mirrors I found while scrounging at the dollar store. I'd recently bought the vintage copper pieces on eBay and once I placed them on the backing, I knew I had a good beginning even though the fact that the pieces had no holes posed a problem. Although I believe you could repair the space shuttle with E6000, I never trust to glue alone. Sewing over the bottom of the spokes provided a sturdy anchor & looked quite decorative. The other challenge was trying to figure out what to do with the very thin spaces between the spokes so that backing didn't show through. I had a feeling that even size 15's would detract. I settled on permanent metallic gold ink & colored in the backing. Then I remembered the garnet beads in my stash and added those.

Herhimnbryn asked if I charged for design time & I replied that I didn't draw a design first. So, H - this is how my process goes. It sometimes means ripping out the boo-boos & bad choices, but it's pretty organic.

6 comments:

beadbabe49 said...

the new one is fascinating! are there just two copper pieces or more? I can't quite see how they are made...

beadbabe49 said...

oh, and the cuff looks great, even though I intensely dislike E-6000, I must admit it's effective!

LJ said...

Hi BB.
There are two copper pieces. The "spokes" run off the half-moon shape. They look like they've been indented to hold marquisites. There are no holes in them at all & they measure about an inch+ from side to side & about 3/4 inch depth at center.
Thanks (about the cuff) - I don't love E6000 either but couldn't have used anything else here.

Padparadscha said...

Finally I find your blog again thanks to beadbabe, hurray !

This stained glass cuff is awesome !

LJ said...

Thank you, Helene! Welcome back.

SuzyQ said...

I love the stained glass cuff! Beautiful!!!