Sunday, May 25, 2008
"Stained Glass" Cuff finished and a new cuff begun.
Below, "Stained Glass" completed. No problem using the brass form, although it is tricky whip-stitching the ends without pulling the form out of shape.
This morning I started the top piece. I began with one of the little oval mirrors I found while scrounging at the dollar store. I'd recently bought the vintage copper pieces on eBay and once I placed them on the backing, I knew I had a good beginning even though the fact that the pieces had no holes posed a problem. Although I believe you could repair the space shuttle with E6000, I never trust to glue alone. Sewing over the bottom of the spokes provided a sturdy anchor & looked quite decorative. The other challenge was trying to figure out what to do with the very thin spaces between the spokes so that backing didn't show through. I had a feeling that even size 15's would detract. I settled on permanent metallic gold ink & colored in the backing. Then I remembered the garnet beads in my stash and added those.
Herhimnbryn asked if I charged for design time & I replied that I didn't draw a design first. So, H - this is how my process goes. It sometimes means ripping out the boo-boos & bad choices, but it's pretty organic.