Saturday, April 19, 2008

Deco Necklace 1


I'd started making the tube section as support for the Phantom Quartz necklace in the April 27th entry (above). I had the creeping sensation that it wasn't right - the styles clashed - Victorian vs something much more modern. You know how it is when you're 10 hours into working & hate to admit that you're going the wrong way?

Finally I gave up on trying to combine the two & decided to see where the beaded tube wanted to go. The neckpiece above was the result. It struck me as typical of Deco-era design and I kept aiming for that kind of simplicity. And...that's led to borrowing a huge book on Deco jewelry from the library and all kinds of other ideas, so stay tuned and wish me luck. Meanwhile, I'm reworking the bail for the Phantom piece - and the necklace portion.

The Deco piece is made with sterling silver beads, cream lampwork beads and Japanese seed beads.

One of my friends, a young woman with (as she joked when I asked her) "a good neck on her shoulders," is going to model it for a photograph. It looks (pardon the ego) stunning on - and the display stand just doesn't do it justice.

7 comments:

beadbabe49 said...

What a wonderful save! Most of my 10 hour oppsies end up with a friend who "rescues" them for me, as I just can't seem to change direction...you, clearly, have no such problem!

Smadar's Treasure said...

Very interesting design and, again, I love your colors :)

Smadar

herhimnbryn said...

Elegant.

Anonymous said...

Votre collier est splendide !
Beaucoup de classe et de sobriété...
Une beauté !

LJ said...

BB, my "oopsies" are legion. And I have a pile of half-completed disasters to prove it. This was a save though, for which I'm eternally grateful.
Smadar, herhimnbryn, benedicte...
I see this being worn with a black or grey suit. I wanted something fabulous that might go with business clothing and look elegant. I HAVE to photograph it on a neck though - because it just doesn't look as fantastic on acrylic.

Pat de Verre said...

Wow,
It is a piece that I can easily wear with a lot of colors not specially on a black blouse. Really a nice combo of techniques and beads. Love it.
Congratulations

LJ said...

Merci, Pat. I keep picturing this worn with off white or a soft, pale grey. The thing I'm happiest with is that it is very wearable. I'll likely try something like it in different colors too.